Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Leaving young girls at home alone for 3 days?

Dear Mom,

My husband’s uncle, Mike, passed away this week. It was stage IV cancer – only diagnosed a year and a half ago. The funeral is in a few weeks. Although I didn’t see Mike often, he is the man who presided over our wedding. We know his wife and his children – the youngest is still in high school.

I know my husband Tony thought a lot of him and would like us both to go to the funeral which will be several states away. Tony thinks that is it okay to leave my two daughters home alone for the two nights and three days that we will be gone. Ashley will be 14 in just two months, but is she old enough to be home alone for so long? Sarah is 11. Both girls are very well behaved and follow the rules. We have neighbors who will check in on them regularly and be there if they need anything.

I still can’t help but feel that the girls are too young to be without us for so long. What do you think? How young is too young to be home alone?

A cautious mom,




I am so sorry for your loss and for the family’s loss

I can’t help but feel that It is way too risky to leave these two young girls at home alone. It is not a matter of if they are well behaved or not, it is a matter of if some kind of accident or emergency comes up. If they get sick or run a fever they will need the help of an adult that is there with them. They are too young to know what to do in an emergency situation or if one of them get sick. 

There needs to be an adult staying with them. You are right to feel like they are too young to be left home alone for so long a period of time


Mom.




Lynn Hardy is one of five kids – one of my twins. In her book Angels Believe in You she mentions much of the advice I have given her concerning her walk with God. She felt that others might have questions about God or other issues which I might be able to help with: Ask Mom was created for this purpose.

If there is something weird going on in your life or you just need an outside opinion about your situation, I would love to hear from you!

Contact Me

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Mom for backing me up! I stood up to my hubby and told him that if we couldn't find a sitter I would have to stay home and he'd have to attend the funeral alone. Sometimes it is easier to stand up for what you know is right in your heart if you aren't standing alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I wouldn't leave them home alone. My girls are 13 and 14 (14 and 15 in March) and I wouldn't leave them, nor would they feel comfortable with being left at home alone overnight, I don't believe. They really do need an adult staying with them. Do you have a family member or friend who could come over, or someone with whom they could stay?

    ReplyDelete